Just a blog, you know?

16 March 2006

Missional Church

I went along to a meeting for a 'Missional Church' which the Salvation Army will probably be starting later this year. There's some information on the Mission Team website.

I found that I'm... undecided. It sounds like fun. It's in one of my favourite suburbs... in fact, when I moved to this city it was the only place I could go and feel at home. I don't know, though, where God's leading. The timing (July) seems a little off for what I think God's given me (six months from March - so September-ish). In a way, it looks as though it could be an exercise in self-indulgence for me.

BIG HUGE NOTE
I'm not implying that this missional church, or any similar enterprise, is a general exercise in self-indulgence!


It could be an exercise in self-indulgence because I could keep my relatively-well-paying job, rent a house in the area, visit cafes and drink coffee in the name of evangelism... know what I mean? Maybe I'm getting stuck on the idea that mission has to be physically difficult and challenging, and require giving up all material benefits. Maybe it would actually be bad for me. After all, it sounds like my life at the moment, with a bit of extra 'church' and coffee. Maybe it would challenge me spiritually, and require me to rely a lot more on God.

Anyway, regardless, I figure I'll wait to find out what God wants. I think he wants me getting involved somehow, but I don't quite understand how, yet. So I'm meeting up with an organiser for coffee (hehe) in a few days. Maybe I should talk to our church leader before that and see what he thinks about me getting involved. He's a wise man, and I have a tendency to forget to use the huge pool of gifts in the people around me to help in my decision-making.

(Note: I sound like a single woman sometimes, don't I? Yes, hubby is involved in the consulting process, promise. That's part of my confusion atm, though, because he isn't overly interested in this venture)

Oh... and just to add a little bit more interesting stuff into the mix... I've been asked to head up a prayer team to go into a new housing initiative in my favourite 'dodgy suburb'. Yikes. How do I get myself into these situations? How did I get myself into all this prayer stuff?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home